As the enterprise embraces the advantages the mobility revolution has to offer, and start to transfer their line of business functions on mobile devices- the question on the right device selection becomes more relevant. Consumer grade high end devices with sleek design with countless benefits splattered across clever, bright and appealing billboard advertisements are a great temptation, the enterprise however has different set of criteria to evaluate the device selection.
- For what purpose will the device be used?
- Who will be using the device?
- Where will it be used?
- Cost of device itself
Rugged devices are often recommended for use within warehouse, supply chain, inventory and quality control environments as there is often dust, rough handling and poor lighting as primary considerations that influence a decision. But consumer grade devices do well within sales force automation applications, proof of delivery applications, order management and approval applications.
The purpose the device will be used is the front runner as a deciding factor for the choice of the device as all other aspects like who will use it, where it will be used are dictated by the purpose itself.
5 Key points our customer evaluated when selecting a modern day Rugged Device for Celstra’s Mobile Sales application.
A well know FMCG distributor selects Celstra’s Mio MAP- Cash Van sales solution for his sales force.
- Route planning, execution and completion
- On line real time invoicing
- Visibility of stock in Van
- Various payment modes
- Customer signature on device so no more disputes
Challenges faced when selecting an appropriate device for the solution
- Dusty environment, in warehouse where the cash vans were loaded.
- Hot and humid weather – leading to smudges and grime
- Sales persons in and out of the van constantly- thus fear of device being dropped
- Sales person also unloaded the van at customer location thus handling a lot of cardboard packages
- Fear of loss and damage to device
- Device cost itself was key – in a price sensitive market
The final decision was made to go for a modern day rugged device.
The device was IP 67 grade, which guarantees protection from Dust, The Gorilla glass as the screen was scratch resistant, it was shockproof as it could with stand approx 1.2 meters fall and weather water spill and moisture quite easily. The cost was averaged over the life span of the device, providing a low TCO on the hardware itself.
DEVICE TYPE AND THEIR LIFE SPAN IN YEARS
- Rugged Smart phone allowed flexibility of usage with applications
- It was rugged and durable.
- The phone was dust proof, water proof ,scratch proof and shock proof
- The cost when averaged over the life span of the device was low
- It had all the goodness of a fast processor and met the industry standards.